Monday, May 19, 2008

Calling all bakers...

All of a sudden, I have the urge to make homemade whole-wheat bread in our machine, sans pre-packaged mix. My two favorite shopping places (Trader Joe's and the local farmer's market) have left us woefully unimpressed by their bread selection. The idea of waking up to warm bread is certianly appealing and having a bread machine does make that possible. Plus, my friend Kellie is 9 months pregnant and able to make bread for her family, so I'm sure I can find some time to fit that in if she can. I know some others of you out there are also experts in the bread-baking area, so I would appreciate your recipes and suggestions. Do I need to buy special bread flour? Do all of the ingredients have to be at room temperature? Any other tricks of the trade?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should talk to Angela ! she has a recipe on her dinners ready blog. honey wheat bread i think it is says its full proof.
love you

Kellie said...

You give me way too much credit... bread machine baking is about as easy as pulling a loaf off the shelf-- well, not quite. I'll bring you the oatmeal bread recipe tomorrow and also my bread machine recipe book so you can look through it-- we've tried several that we really like- especially honeyed walnut. I'm addicted to making bread now- and making use of the delay feature so we can wake up to warm loaves!

Anonymous said...

Kaethe!

Found you guys!!!- hope you don't mind. A) I'm making bread like a mad-woman these days so I'm sure I have a recipe or two to shoot you & B) I'm coming to Pittsburgh next week and would love to see you and the fam. Short trip for graduation of some of my former students. - e-mail if you can: mare_blair@yahoo.com. - Mary

Suz said...

i think my bread machine is my FAVORITE kitchen item...what is better than warm bread (and the smell of it cooking!!)
i find i use it more for making dough than actually baking the bread (which of course makes it harder--leave it to me to take something that is meant to make your life easier and complicate it! haha) i think i use it most to make whole wheat dinner rolls and pizza dough. let me know if you are interested in the recipes and i'll email you them. also, i have a good one for a whole wheat cinnamon raisin swirl bread that is SOOO good just out of the oven (you can make it the night before and let it rise overnight in the fridge....then just stick it in the oven when you get up)
good luck with your bread making! let me know if you find a good whole wheat bread recipe that actually bakes it in the machine! for some reason i just haven't found a great one yet.
-susan :)

angela | the painted house said...

Thanks, Julie, for the plug!

I haven't experimented with too many recipes since we are doing sugar-free and vegan--but the whole wheat recipe that I do make is so good--especially with Bob's Red Mill whole wheat flour. But, yes, the recipe is on the side bar, under "Vegan", on my food blog: www.dinnersready.blogspot.com