Friday, March 17, 2006

Questionable church signs

On my way to work yesterday, I passed a church whose sign read "L-E-N-T. Let's Eliminate Negative Thinking". Negative thinking about what, exactly? Our neighbors, friends, and enemies? That would be a good thing. Negative thinking about how difficult it is to actually give something up for Lent? (Although I'll admit that I didn't make too much progress in that area this year and my excuse is that I've been giving up things like alcohol, soft cheeses, and most of my wardrobe for many months now). I think I did notice some negative thoughts coming from Jonathan the other day while I baked cookies for church and he painted the baby's room. (He gave up sweets for Lent).

However, isn't Lent supposed to be, at least in part, about "negative thinking"? That is, prayer and mediation upon our sinful condition, God's wrath on sinners, Jesus's suffering, death, and sacrifice for us? Pretty negative thoughts. To use Lutheran terminology, if we don't recognize the Law, then we don't fully appreciate the Gospel. Isn't that what makes Easter so wonderful?

No comments: