Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Yes, Michigan.

Here's an excerpt from the Free Press on an interview with Mitch Albom and the release of his new book "Have a little Faith":

Why do you choose to stay here, to live in Detroit?

A: I stay in Detroit because I admire the people here. I admire the family attitude here. I like being proud to be from here. And I am proud to be from here and I consider this my home.

I've lived here 25 years, longer than I've lived anywhere in my life by far. I've built my life here, I've built a sense of community here, I've married here, I got my first home here. People talk as if Detroit's somehow not as real as LA or New York. Yeah, there's more stuff to do in New York and stuff to do in LA but you don't make your home based on stuff to do. You make your home where you feel loved, appreciated, where you understand the ethics and the values. And I'm comfortable with the state of mind of Michigan. I feel at home here.

1 comment:

mh said...

So true in speaking to the heart of every native Michigander. (sigh) I miss my home state!